Congrats on landing a gig!
A few helpful tips that I can give (and you may already know) are:
1) Be prepared. Bring pens, a notepad, and a charged cell-phone. If you need to take notes, phone numbers, names, directions, dinner/lunch orders you’ll want something to write the info down. It doesn’t hurt to have a few pens with you because if someone else forgets one you’ll have an extra one on hand and be a hero (even if only for a second).
2) Keep the Call Sheet on you and any necessary phone numbers at all times. Don’t lose it. It will give you all the necessary info you’ll need to help you get through the day.
3) Whether you use petty cash or your own cash, ALWAYS get a receipt AND make sure it clearly states which business. Some small restaurants don’t always have a register that prints out the business name on it, get it stamped by them. If not you risk not getting reimbursed.
4) On a similar note, have change handy in case you need to feed any parking meters.
5) Be organized if you end up taking lunch orders. Use that pen and pad to take down orders and note any particulars. Double check the order before you leave the restaurant to make sure it’s correct. Ask the restaurant to label each order with the person’s name.
6) Ask questions. I know it seems over whelming, but if you ask the right questions then you are less likely to mess something up later down the road. Trust me, they’ll appreciate that you’re asking the question so that you do your job correctly.
7) Take initiative. If you see something needs to be done, do it or ask if it’s okay that you do it. You’ll get noticed if you stay active instead of hiding behind a crafty table avoiding doing any work. The more people you meet and they see you working, the better. Trust me there can be a lot of down time where there isn’t anything that needs attention, just know the difference between the two.
8) Everyone has their first day as a PA and most people know/remember how much being a PA sucks so most people will be polite…of course there are always those that aren’t but just shrug it off and move on.
Good Luck and I hope this helps! Let me know how your gig goes :)